Bayern Munich has parted ways with their Italian coach, Carlo Ancelotti after an uncharacteristic poor start to the season by the Bavarians. The decision must have been made easy for the hierarchy at the Allianz Arena following the defeat by Paris Saint Germain at the Parc de Prince on Wednesday.
However, Ancelotti’s sack was already in offing due to the what those in the know called ‘dressing room unrest’. Similarly, the Italian couldn’t convince the powers that be at the German giants to be really bullish in the summer transfer window.
Carlo Ancelotti’s reign with Bayern Munich became “impossible” after a group of five players turned against him according to the Bavarian club’s chairman Uli Hoeness.
The Italian was sacked on Thursday after the German champions were handed a comprehensive 3-0 thrashing in the Champions League by Paris Saint-German.
Bayern also find themselves third in the Bundesliga and during the announcement of Ancelotti’s departure ,CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said the side’s performances had failed to meet expectations.
But Hoeness has revealed that the dressing room was responsible for a large part of Ancelotti’s downfall.
“There were five players against Ancelotti,” Hoeness told Westfalenpost.
“It was impossible to get out of that.”
Robert Lewandowski, Arjen Robben and Thomas Muller are three of Bayern Munich’s stars who have all voiced their discontent at things going on so far this season. Robben refused to back Ancelotti in the aftermath of the defeat to PSG.
Pundits also queried the Italian’s choice of Javier Matinez at centerback when he could have deployed Matt Hummels. The Bavarians were exposed at the back and the trio of Neymar, Cavani and Mbappe took full advantage of that.
Ancelotti spent only a year and three months with Bayern Munich. He managed the Bavarians through 60 matches – won 42, drew nine and lost nine.
With 70% winning statistic, Ancelotti is by no means a failure. But Bayern Munich are no Arsenal!